[Instantrails-users] No Instant Gratification ! Browser can't access localhost:3000 (IR 1.4)

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 14:49:49 EST 2006

On 12/7/06, Harrivel <gharrivel at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi! I'm learning Ruby on Rails with the Agile Web Development With Rails
> book. I have installed InstantRails 1.4 (under windows xp 2) and after
> doing all steps (gem updates, rails demo, ruby script/server which
> launches WEBrick server), I can't access the localhost:3000 with the
> browser. I tried 127.0.0.1:3000 in apache config, then with my IP
> address 192.168.1.100:3000 (given by DHCP, I'm behind an ADSL router)
> Firefox says he can't etablish any connexion with the server at this
> address.
>
> I tried also to "listen 3000" to apache config, but the browser goes to
> InstantRails/www/index.html...  I've modified also the wondows etc/hosts
> file...Please, help me!

When you launch the WEBrick server and browse directly to
http://127.0.0.1:3000/ Apache isn't involved at all, so don't waste your
time messing with apache configuration.

Try this:

- Unzip a fresh copy of Instant Rails 1.4 (to make sure you're starting
clean).

- Start the Instant Rails manager (instalrails.exe), and make sure that the
MySQL server starts up (Apache doesn't matter, because you won't be using
it).

- Open a Ruby Console Windows through the Instant Rails menus (this is
important because it puts IT's copy of Ruby on the system path in that
console).

- Move into the preinstalled cookbook sample app (i.e., "cd cookbook").

- Start WEBrick (i.e., "ruby script\server")

- Wait WEBrick to say it is listening on port 3000, and then browse to
http://127.0.0.1:3000/

You should see the cookbook app. If you don't, post the console log from
WEBrick and we should be able to figure out what's going on.