[Instantrails-users] Can't Get InstantRails Default Applications to Work

a friend desperado9 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 01:05:30 EDT 2006

I have a Windows XP Professional machine with Service
Pack 2 on it.  I've downloaded and installed the
latest InstantRails distro but I can't get either the
cookbook or typo applications to work.  When I try to
access them, they just time out.  Here's my entire
installation and troubleshooting process.  Does
anybody have any idea on what is wrong?

First I extracted InstantRails 1.3a to
C:\InstantRails.

Before I started InstantRails, I went to the Apache
directory and started Apache.  I got this message:

	Syntax error on line 74 of
c:/instantrails/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
	ServerRoot must be a valid directory

Then I started InstantRails and got this message in a
popup window:

	Apache port (80) is used by "" (inetinfo.exe)!

Next, I went to Configure > Apache and changed the
Port and Listen to 3000:

	Port 3000
	Listen 3000

I also went into the Windows Host file and added these
lines:

	127.0.0.1	localhost
	127.0.0.1	www.mycookbook.com
	127.0.0.1	typo

Now when I restarted IR and opened the Rails
Application window, I checked the checkbox next to
cookbook and clicked the "Start SCGI Server" button.
When I entered http://www.mycookbook.com, I got the
Internet site, not the local Rails application.

Next I entered http://127.0.0.1:3000/ and the browser
displayed the message "coming soon!" which is coming
from C:\InstantRails\www\index.html.

Now I opened up the Windows Hosts file again and
changed the ports for the RoR applications:

	127.0.0.1		localhost
	127.0.0.1:3000	www.mycookbook.com
	127.0.0.1:3000	typo

Then I restarted IR, went to Manage Rails
Applications, checked the cookbook application
checkbox, and clicked the "Start SCGI Server" button.

This time when I started the cookbook application with
the URL http://www.mycookbook.com:3000/, my Firefox
browser said "The connection has timed out."  I also
tried it in IE but got the message, "The page cannot
be displayed" and "Cannot find server or DNS Error".

Next I went to the Apache directory and started Apache
by hand.  There were no errors reported.

Next I stopped my Windows firewall and tried
http://www.mycookbook.com:3000/ again in both Firefox
and IE and got the same messages as before.  There's
nothing in the Apache Error and Access logs and the
InstantRails log looks normal:

	03/08 21:00:22 Instant Rails: Servers starting
	03/08 21:00:23 Apache : Apache port (80) is used by
"" (inetinfo.exe) !
	03/08 21:00:23 MySql  : Configuration file changed
	03/08 21:00:23 Apache : Configuration file changed
	03/08 21:06:08 Apache : Configuration file changed
	03/08 21:06:20 Instant Rails: Stop the Servers
	03/08 21:06:31 Instant Rails: Servers starting
	03/08 21:16:54 Instant Rails: Stop the Servers
	03/08 21:17:17 Instant Rails: Servers starting
	03/08 21:19:44 Instant Rails: Stop the Servers
	03/08 21:19:49 Instant Rails: Servers starting
	03/08 21:28:27 Instant Rails: Stop the Servers
	03/08 21:31:08 Instant Rails: Servers starting

When I do a "netstat -a" this is what I see:

C:\InstantRails>netstat -a

	Active Connections

	  Proto  Local Address          Fore
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:smtp   LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:http   LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:epmap  LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:https  LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:microsoft-d
	TENING
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:1035   LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:1351   LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:1039   LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:1057   LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:1118   loca
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:1119   loca
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:1352   LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:ms-sql-s  L
	NG
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:62514  LLC3
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:netbios-ssn
	ENING
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:ms-sql-s  L
	NG
	  TCP    LLC30-E00008034:52028  LLC3
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:407    *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:microsoft-d
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:isakmp  *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1025   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1026   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1033   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1079   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:2967   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:3456   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:4500   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:52311  *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:ntp    *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1060   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1159   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1191   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1900   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:62514  *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:ntp    *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:netbios-ns
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:netbios-dgm
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:1900   *:*
	  UDP    LLC30-E00008034:52029  *:*

I tried changing this file
C:\InstantRails\rails_apps\cookbook\config\scgi.yaml
from

	:host: 127.0.0.1

	:host: 127.0.0.1:3000

Even this didn't work!!!  HELP!!!  What's wrong????