[Instantrails-users] Working with SCGI

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 02:12:41 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

As the "Rolling with Ruby on Instant Rails" tutorial freely admits, it
uses Webrick for simplicity and doesn't bother with Apache.

Where, then, can I get some instructions on getting a new Rails app
working with Apache and SCGI using InstantRails?  I didn't see any in
the Wiki.

I followed the steps in InstantRails > Manage Rails Applications >
Configure SCGI Settings, which I summarise as follows:

 - choose an SCGI port (I chose 9997)
 - edit the Apache config file, using the cookbook and typo virtual
servers as an example (my server name is www.cclocal.com)
 - edit the Windows host file
 - check to see that config/scgi.yaml has been written
 - restart Apache (just in case it wasn't automatically restarted)
 - hit the "Start SCGI server" button

That last step launches a DOS box with title
"E:\INSTAN~1\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" but with no output in it.

When I point my browser at www.cclocal.com, what do I see?  Title:
"Instant Rails Help"; content: "coming soon!".  Not what I wanted!

The relevant bits of config are below.  Can anyone see anything wrong
with it and/or offer some advice?

=== config/scgi.yaml
:password: doruedQ6MyR7o
:port: 9997
:control_url: druby://
:env: development
:logfile: log/scgi.log
:disable_signals: true
:config: config/scgi.yaml

=== httpd.conf (excerpt)
<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName www.cclocal.com
    # handle all requests through SCGI
    SCGIMount /dispatch.fcgi
    DocumentRoot E:/InstantRails/rails_apps/CrapCollector/public
    <Directory E:/InstantRails/rails_apps/CrapCollector/public>
        Options +FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        allow from all
    AddDefaultCharset utf-8