[Instantrails-users] [NewBie]Access RailsApp from different computer

E Gard x2egard at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 22 04:28:09 EDT 2005

Hi Shodhan,

I don't know what kind of network setup you have, but
I'm using a linksys router with DDNS (See DynDNS at
www.dyndns.org).

Here is my change:

<VirtualHost *>
    #### Salted ####
    ServerName x2egard.dyndns.org

The DynDNS site let's you create the above name and
maps it to your router's IP address (no charge for the
service, it's free!).  My router than forwards port 80
(Apache) to a machine on my local network.

I browse to http://x2egard.dyndns.org/ and get the
salted rails app from any internet connected browser.

Ed

--- shodhan <shodhan_sheth at persistent.co.in> wrote:

---------------------------------
  Hi
InstantRails works perfectly fine on my computer after
i make thefollowing changes in the configuration files

modified start_scgi to include -h option
..\..\ruby\bin\ruby.exe script\scgi_rails start
-hmy.ip.add.ress -p 9999 -e production -D
modified hosts  to include
my.ip.addr.ess            www.myApp.com
modified httpd.conf, (modified cookbook virtualhost)
<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName www.myApp.com
    # handle all requests through SCGI
    SCGIMount / my.ip.add.ress:9999
    DocumentRoot ${path}/rails_apps/myApp/public
    <Directory ${path}/rails_apps/myApp/public>
        Options +FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        allow from all
    </Directory>
    AddDefaultCharset utf-8
    ErrorDocument 500 /500.html
    ErrorDocument 404 /404.html
    # matches locations with a dot following at least
one morecharacters,
    # that is, things like   *.html, *.css, *.js,
which should bedelivered
    # directly from the filesystem. Also matches the
following
    # subdirectories: images, javascript(s),
stylesheets

<LocationMatch^/(images|javascript|javascripts|stylesheets|[^/]+\.[^/]+$)>
        # don't handle those with SCGI
        SCGIHandler Off
    </LocationMatch>
    <LocationMatch "^/$">
        # don't handle just / with SCGI
        SCGIHandler Off
   </LocationMatch>
</VirtualHost>

Once i start scgi myApp is up at www.myApp.com
Unfortunately the same is not accessible from a
different computer.
So the question is 1) is this configuration right, and
2) is this theonnly configuration required to make my
app accessible to the othercomputers
many thanx in advance
shodhan
ps: if i try telnet my.ip.add.ress 9999 from another
machine, it turnsout to be sucessfull