[Instantrails-users] Conflict with currently running MySQL instance

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 15:01:05 EDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Ken Barker <ken.barker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Curt,
>
> I tried Instant Rails 1.0 preview2 on my Win2K Pro laptop. Everything
> worked great with one exception. The Instant Rails MySQL conflicted with my
> currently running MySQL instance. I am sure this was a Port conflict.
>
> Two things:
>
> 1. The message that popped up stated that "Apache cannot be runned :
> another Web server use the Web port". The title of this message box was
> MySQL and the MySQL service indicator was still red.

Yuk! Bad error message! I need to go through all the error messages I
inherited from EasyPHP and make sure there aren't any more like this!

2. Where/how do I define a different port for MySQL and what are the impacts
> on my rails apps?

Do you really want/need to be running more than one instance of MySQL? You
could just continue to use the one you already have and not use the one in
Instant Rails. To do that you would use the menu command "Configure >>
Instant Rails" and then uncheck the box that labelled "Automatically start
the servers when Instant Rails starts".

Of course this will stop apache from automatically starting, too. You can
manually start it by clicking on the Apaqche button and selecting "Start".
Maybe in the next release I should have separate options for auto-starting
apache and mysql.

You could also move your MySQL data into the Instant Rails instance and just
run that one.

If you *really, really* want to run two instances of MySQL simultaneously,
I'd need to do a little research to see what the implications would be.
Obviously it'd have to run on a different port, and somehow you'd have to
tell Rails about this.

Unfortunately, between work and getting ready for RubyConf, I really don't
have time to look into this right now.