[Instantrails-users] www.mycookbook.com not working - just shows apache page

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 23:09:06 EDT 2005

On 10/11/05, Ken Barker <ken.barker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/05, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Did you edit your HOSTS file and add the line:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1> www.mycookbook.com<http://www.mycookbook.com>
>

> Yes. Edited the file IRails opened for me.
>
> Is you browse configured to use a proxy server? If so, make sue you've got
> > the checkbox checked to now use the proxy for local addresses (this is an IE
> > setting). Or better yet, as an experiment set you internet connection
> > temporarily to "direct connection" and then see if it works.
>

> Direct connection already using FireFox.

Hmm... this is strange.

The reason for using virtual hosts in the apache config file is so that you
can ave multiple rails apps running at the same time. Let's try making the
cookbook app be the one and only (i.e., the default) virtual host.

Edit your apache config file (menu: Configure >> Apache). At the very end of
the file you'll see two virtual host definitions. One for localhost and one
for cookbook. Delete the one for localhost and save the file.

Restart apache and try browing to:

http://localhost/

or

http://127.0.0.1/

Does that work?

Curt

PS
What version of Windows are you using? I should have mentioned that this
only works with Windows 2000 or newer.