[Instantrails-users] Retaining non-Rails customization over upgrades

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:14:37 EST 2005

On 11/4/05, DeeJay <smartgpx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How would I go about rolling over [ personal customizations to
> > the ../ruby directory tree ] from one release
> > of Instant Rails to the next as automatically and elegantly as
> > possible?
> A possible answer to my own query.
> What I'm doing at the moment is just keeping a directory that
> holds copies of what I want to preserve, from which I make copies
> into the appropriate places in the renewed InstRails directory
> tree. That could be automated with a Windows .bat file or a
> .rb script
> Looking for a solution that keeps this within the Ruby family, I
> guess that Rake could be used to do the distribution of files
> to their final locations? For a small (say <10) number of
> files or subdirectories a rakefile could be built and maintained
> 'by hand' - after that it might get a bit unwieldy? Q: can
> rake safely invoke gem to keep a set of gems updated?
> This is from someone new to Ruby - I've never fired up
> Rake, so this is all speculative - guidance based on
> experience would be welcome.

Or, perhaps, an upgrade script written in ruby (or rake/ruby) could
analyze  the changes that have been made in the Instant Rails
directory tree (this would require me to include a manifest of all the
files in the dirstribution and their original timestamps) and would
offer to copy all new or modified files to a new installation. It
could be smart enough to know certain files may require hand-merging.
I could even include WinMerge in the distribution and use it to open
such files for merging.