[Instantrails-users] Retaining non-Rails customization over upgrades

DeeJay smartgpx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 04:05:45 EST 2005

> How would I go about rolling over [ personal customizations to
> the ../ruby directory tree ] from one release
> of Instant Rails to the next as automatically and elegantly as
> possible?

A possible answer to my own query.

What I'm doing at the moment is just keeping a directory that
holds copies of what I want to preserve, from which I make copies
into the appropriate places in the renewed InstRails directory
tree. That could be automated with a Windows .bat file or a
.rb script

Looking for a solution that keeps this within the Ruby family, I
guess that Rake could be used to do the distribution of files
to their final locations? For a small (say <10) number of
files or subdirectories a rakefile could be built and maintained
'by hand' - after that it might get a bit unwieldy? Q: can
rake safely invoke gem to keep a set of gems updated?

This is from someone new to Ruby - I've never fired up
Rake, so this is all speculative - guidance based on
experience would be welcome.

DeeJay