[Instantrails-users] preview7 application error 500

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Sat Dec 17 13:29:46 EST 2005

Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com> schrieb am Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:01:01
-0600:

> On 12/17/05, Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m at icg-online.de> wrote:
> >

> > This problem seems to result from the fact that the DOS box from
> > 'Start SCGI-Server' disappears after a few seconds. It contains
> > some text but there is not enough time to read it.
> >
> > Any idea what could be the problem?
> > Does Start SCGI-Server use a command file where I could add a
> > pause, so that I can see if there is any error message displayed?
> >

> Definitely, the SCGI server has some problem that is causing it to
> crash or not start up in the first place. Two things to try...
>
> First, check the scgi.log file to see if there's any useful info in
> there. You'll find it at:
>
>     rails_apps\typo-2.6.0\log\scgi.log

This file did not exist. Probably because the log directory did not
exist at all.

I did as Larry suggested and created

rails_apps\typo-2.6.0\log\development.log and
rails_apps\cookbook\log\development.log

This solved my problems. I have the scgi.log now as well, but it does
not contain any error. ;-)

So it looks like ..\log\development.log should be part of the
installation. At least the log directory. Maybe this this would be
sufficient, but I did not try it.

> Second, as you suggested, you can start the SCGI server manually by:
>
> 1) Opening a Ruby command window using "Rails Applications >> Open
> Ruby Console Window"
>
> 2) Move into the typo subdirectory: "cd typo-2.6.0"
>
> 3) Run the command "ruby ..\..\ruby\bin\scgi_service"

Ah, OK.

Manfred

 Manfred Usselmann                            usselmann.m at icg-online.de