[fxruby-users] [Foxgui-users] Troubles with FXTextField encoding

Damián M. González gonzalezdamianm at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 02:32:02 UTC 2013

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:14:02 -0600
> From: jeroen at fox-toolkit.com
> To: gonzalezdamianm at hotmail.com
> CC: fxruby-users at rubyforge.org; foxgui-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Foxgui-users] Troubles with FXTextField encoding
>
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 08:39:40 -0300
> Damián M. González <gonzalezdamianm at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >  Hello Jeroen, people. I'm having troubles with the encoding. First of all, I'll tell you that in the app that am developing am using ñüáéíóú characters. I've realized that when the user write some of those characters and the app take it for work with it, later I come with troubles, that's because the string taked from the #FXTextField has ascii-8bit encoding, and as you can see here: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/CompSci_ASCII_Table.shtml the characters ñüáéíóú doesn't exist. So I've tried to change the encoding of the #FXTextField to UTF-8 but I didn't found the right Constant: http://rubydoc.info/gems/fxruby/frames , am I missing it? is somewhere hidding? nevermind. This is a little worse: I've tried to change the encoding as I said to another one, not UTF-8(because I didn't find it) but to CP850, so I did something like this:
> > #...tf = FXTextField.new(parent, 10)tf.font=(app, FXFont.new(app, "Segoe UI,90,normal,5,0,#{FONTENCODING_CP850},0"))#checking the encoding..puts tf.encoding#=> 850
> >  Seems to work, but it doesn't. When I enter text in the #FXTextField, press enter and ask for the encoding, ascii-8bit appears, not cp850...
> > tf.connect(SEL_COMMAND) do |sender, selector, data|  puts data.encoding  #=> <Encoding:ASCII-8BIT>end
> >  So I really don't know what happen when the user enter any of ñüáéíóú,... I'm getting strange errors when I handle those writed strings. Do any of you have some advice about this? will be thankfull to hear them. Is this a bug? Thanks for your time.
> > P.D.: By the way I'm using FXRuby 1.6.25, Windows 7 Proffesional 64 bits, Ruby 1.9.3p327 (2012-11-10) [i386-mingw32].
>
> I can't speak for Ruby, but FOX should support UTF-8.
>
> For all this to work, ensure that your FOX library is compiled with -DUNICODE=1
> otherwise the interface to Win32 won't support unicode.
>

> 	-- JVZ

> | Copyright (C) 09:10 02/14/2013 Jeroen van der Zijp.   All Rights Reserved. |

 Thank you Jeroen for answer. Sadly seems that there's no maintainer of the framework for Ruby, and I don't know how to check if the gem we(the users of Ruby) download is compiled with -DUNICODE=1, Ruby is my first language and I'm kind of noob related to C++.  I'm in middle of a project, hope to get some answer about if FXRuby is compiled with that option, if not if it can be fixed, etc. Does anybody knows that?