[fxruby-users] Slow loading with Ruby 1.9.3 and FXRuby 1.6.23

Doug Allen allend at trimet.org
Sat Mar 17 01:10:18 UTC 2012

We have been using Ruby 1.8.6 and FXRuby 1.6.16 under Windows, from the old
one step installer.

The following code takes less than a second to load and execute on my
five-year old Windows XP PC.

  puts 'Starting'
  require 'fox16'
  puts 'Done'

With Ruby 1.9.3 and FXRuby 1.6.23, it takes 12 or more seconds. Both tests
are with all files on my local hard drive.

I understand that Ruby 1.9.x on Windows has performance problems with
'require', but I am wondering if anyone knows a workaround, and whether this
is caused by Ruby 1.9 or is related to the different compiler for FXRuby. I
have tried other Ruby 1.9.x binaries that attempt to help with 'require' but
see no performance difference for FXRuby 1.6.23.

I should add that after loading, the application itself performs just fine
with Ruby 1.9.3 and FXRuby 1.6.23.