[fxruby-users] flush -- doesn't work after main window is moved or obscured

djlewis djlewis at triadic.com
Wed Sep 21 21:41:37 EDT 2011

I'm trying to get an FXRuby app to keep its window in sync with the
application -- in particular the progress bar freezes until the loop is
done.  Following instructions in the FAQ at...

http://www.fox-toolkit.org/faq.html#CLIENTSERVER

... I put in an app.flush to make sure the screen stayed in sync with the
actual updates.  I know that is expensive, but I wanted to make sure. I also
preceded flush with  forceRefresh.

It worked fine -- until -- I moved the application window with the mouse or
obscured it with another window. Then the app window froze again until the
end of the loop. This is quite a mystery to me, as I am still issuing
flushes. In fact, the entire app window gets tagged "not responding" by
Windows and goes dim if I persist in trying to click in it.

I guess I could put in a delay, to let the queue empty, but that would
really slow things down.  Why don't the standard functions (flush, etc) seem
to work?

This is in Win 7, Ruby 192.

Thanks. --David.