[fxruby-users] FOX

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Thu Sep 16 07:49:40 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Mohammed Rashad
<mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am going to start a project in C++ or Ruby (not yet decided). First
> I choose Qt for gui but latter I am impressed with FOX and also FXRuby.
> I had contributed to some opensource projects like GRASS GIS and created two
> projects on sourceforge.
> From you blog I heard that you signed off from FOX and FXRuby and also FOX
> is dead. I would like to maintain FXRuby and FXpy bindings.

Great!

> What should I do to be the maintainer and coordinator of FOX bindings for
> python and Ruby.? Can you give me spark or start for becoming the maintainer
> of FOX bindings?

The first thing I'd do is reach out to the community (via the
foxgui-users and fxruby-users mailing lists) to see if anyone else
wanted to help. This was a mistake I made with FXRuby, not doing more
to involve other potential contributors. Maintaining a library like
FXRuby is a lot of work for one person to do on their own.

Around the same time, though, I'd start by getting to know how the
code works. I would set up my build and development environment, and
make sure that I could build FXRuby from source code. After that I'd
need to become pretty intimately familiar with FOX, C++, Ruby (and its
extension API), and SWIG, if I wasn't already.

After I'd done those things, or maybe even sooner, I'd fork the
project on FXRuby and start looking for little bugs to fix, or
features to add. I would continue to reach out to the community, to
see if anyone else wanted to pitch in and help. Eventually, I'd work
my way up to making a new release of the code. Community involvement
can be especially helpful here, in terms of getting the ports done.
For example, if I worked primarily on Linux, I'd see if someone else
was willing to make sure it's working properly on Windows or OS X.

Over time, if I was successful, the world would come to recognize my
fork of FXRuby as the "good" one, and that's the one that they'd all
use.

> Is FOX c++ gui better than Qt gui. ?

I have never used Qt and am therefore unqualified to answer this question.

Hope this helps,

Lyle