[fxruby-users] key event capturing - help

dave L dglnz at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 05:22:35 EDT 2010

I am using foxGUIb for the gui front end (I don't believe this is where my issue
is) but i cannot get a couple of things right.

1st
How do I use the keys.rb file within my project?
Currently I am doing a require 'keys' and then including it.

this then allows me to access constant variables like KEY_Return etc.

2nd
I am using within my event handler this type of code....

@textfield1.connect(Fox::SEL_KEYPRESS){|a,b,event|

  if KEY_Return.to_s == <what do i put in here?>
      statements
  end
}

I've tried...
        event.state (this gives me 16, 17 for shift, 20 for Ctrl, 24 for Alt, 16
for backspace & tab & delete & insert so it's not the best).
        a.to_s and this to be compared to the Key_Return.to_s value but this
fails too.
        event.to_s

After having a read of lyle's PDF I found that there is another method I hadn't
known about call code using this gives me a match to the KEY_Return constant
that I was looking for!!

So now I have this....

@textfield1.connect(Fox::SEL_KEYPRESS){|a,b,event|

  if KEY_Return.to_s == event.code.to_s
      statements in here WILL be actioned ONLY when the keyboard enter key IS
pressed!!
  end
}

Hope this may help someone down the track.

dave.