[fxruby-users] Can you display bullets in labels?

Paul Carvalho tester.paul at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 11:17:34 EDT 2010

On 31 March 2010 10:44, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> It's possible (well, likely) that the bullet symbol that you pasted in
> failed to display properly because it wasn't there in the font that
> your UI was using. You'd want to first confirm that those characters
> (bullet, or copyright) are available in your GUI's font, and then find
> out what character code to embed in the string.

I thought the same thing - which explains why a square appeared in the UI
when I included the bullet char in the string.  Then I tried adding ascii
codes to strings (e.g. &#123..) to see if they would display but that
doesn't work either.

I did manage to display the copyright symbol because it appears low enough
in the ascii table and is part of all the system fonts.  No luck with the
bullet symbol though unless I change the font.

> If you just wanted bullets, I also second Bartosz's suggestion of
> adding an icon to the label, on its left side.
Add an icon as in a graphic image file?  I can't say that I thought of that
as an option.  I could do that but this app is small and I want to keep it
simple.  I'd rather go with (ascii)  asterisks before I add a graphic bullet
image.  Not as pretty, but good enough.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.  Paul.