[fxruby-users] GUI Layout question

Paul Carvalho tester.paul at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:16:18 EST 2010

Hi there, I'm new to FXRuby and programming in general.  I'm trying to
create a simple layout with only 2 elements in the window: a tabbook and a
statusbar.

I can get these 2 items in the window, but I'm having a bit of difficulty
getting the tabbook to take up the whole top part of the window -- i.e. to
resize to fit_x and fit_y, but don't overlap the statusbar (on the bottom).

I downloaded foxGUIb 1.0.0 to see if it can help me sort out the UI elements
but I haven't figured it out yet.  I think I'm still missing something.
Here's what I've tried so far:

Attempt 1:
-----
MainWindow
- horizontalFrame1
-- Switcher
--- TabBook
---- TabItem1
---- VerticalFrame1
----- button1
- StatusBar
-----

=> When I set the horizontalFrame layout properties to FILL_X and FILL_Y, it
fills the whole window going behind (or in front of) the status bar.  I
don't want it to do that.  I want it to stop at/above the status bar.

In Attempt 2, I tried with 2 horizontal frames - putting the status bar in
the second hFrame, but I couldn't seem to make it so the 2 horizontal frames
play nicely together in the window.  The first hFrame always fills the whole
window hiding the second hFrame behind it.

I then removed the hFrames and played with the the Layout settings for just
the Switcher but I get the same effect - it fills the whole window and goes
behind the status bar but I want it to stop just above it.

Any suggestions?  I'm using Ruby 1.8.6 and Fox 1.6.28.

Paul.