[fxruby-users] SEL_UPDATE not responsive

Ralph Shnelvar ralphs at dos32.com
Tue Aug 17 18:29:27 EDT 2010

I have read what I could about SEL_UPDATE and I understand that the block(s) that get called "from" SEL_UPDATE only get called when "there is no more work to do".

I took the splitter.rb example that comes with FXRuby. I put in a "puts" in one of the SEL_UPDATE blocks and I get about 4 a second.   Not awful ... but ... why is it so slow?

In my code which is ... more or less ... similar to splitter.rb (just a lot more widgets and buttons) and a single SEL_UPDATE block with almost nothing in it ... and the block gets trigger once every four seconds rather than 4 times a second.  That's unacceptably slow.

How can I tell what's causing SEL _UPDATE to be so slow?  (CPU usage is at 4%.  I don't think I'm in a heavy loop.)