[fxruby-users] Moving On

Nataraj S Narayan natarajsn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 05:12:16 EDT 2010

Hi Lyle

All good things eventually come to an end. Feeling sad for fxruby.

My acquaintence with fx-ruby became when I was facing  a rather critical
situation for me as well the company I am working for. A big project was
coming in on Arm9 based handheld , kinda embedded arm-linux, and we had very
less time for making a good show of our competence.

I was keen on freepascal for Arm and betting on it when the company wanted
an immediate demo and proto-type of the application on the Arm-linux board.
I did shelve freepascal and jumped into ruby /fox/fxruby cross compilation
and lo! I could whip up a decent App with mysql connectivity to a remote
server , almost within a week. We got the plum order and I get to retain my

Well after the initial euphoria, the management decided to go the QT way,
since Nokia was backing it now. So, despite my objections, ruby and fx are
under the wraps since  and there are the C++ cats working on
Qt-embedded-opensource-linux-4.5.2. Meanwhile I was still trying to
duplicate what the Qt guys were trying, but my handycap being that
Qt-embedded runs on frame buffer without X.

Eventually I believe some one might embark on Foxlib with xserver
functionality over frame buffer and get fxruby to work on the same.

Thanks to you Lyle once again.

Warm regards