[fxruby-users] Moving On

Melton, Ryan rmelton at ball.com
Wed Aug 4 12:50:33 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

First of all, I've been using FXRuby for the past 4 years on a large (60000 SLOC) Ruby application for my company, and it has worked nicely.  Thanks are definitely owned to Lyle and Jeroen for the easy to use toolkit.

However, it's been showing its age, and the writing on the wall has been there for a while that FOX wasn't really being developed anymore.

I'm in the process of taking the KDE Bindings to the Qt GUI Toolkit for Ruby "QtRuby" and making it easier to install (which is its main drawback right now).  The official qtruby4 only has a windows gem that works with the old Ruby Installer for Windows and a very hard to compile tarball for other platforms.  I'm repackaging it into a gem that should be easy to install on Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux. (Hopefully... Feedback will be appreciated)

You can get the code now on github at http://github.com/ryanmelt/qtbindings

I'll have a gem ready in a couple days.

For those who haven't heard of Qt... Its extremely nice, and relative similar to FOX.  The learning curve to switching is not that high.  There isn't nice RDoc documentation like Lyle put together for FxRuby, but the mapping from the C documentation to ruby is very easy.  Best of all, its supported by a major company, Nokia, and isn't going anywhere.  http://qt.nokia.com