[fxruby-users] Moving On

Brian Wisti brian.wisti at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 12:38:06 EDT 2010

> What graphical platform would you recommend porting to?
>
> Ralph

Hey Ralph, I actually have an answer now that I've recovered from
Lyle's announcement :-)

For cross-platform GUI, FXRuby was always the best bet. Other
libraries tend to work best on Unix+X11 systems. Still, there are a
couple of options.

Korundum's Qt4-Ruby bindings might work. Qt4 is an excellent library,
although it might feel a little heavyweight after working with FXRuby.
I mention Korundum because they pushed out a fresh release of the
qt4-ruby gem a few days ago. There is also a great tutorial available.

* http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum/
* http://www.darshancomputing.com/qt4-qtruby-tutorial/

WxRuby is a set of bindings for the WxWidgets tookit. Not bad,
although I had issues getting it to work on Windows sometimes. Also,
the most recent release appears to be from September 2009.

* http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

If you are not worried about Windows and don't like QT, you could
check out Ruby-GNOME2. I think it is a useful set of bindings, as long
as you are only concerned about writing GTK/Gnome apps. Unfortunately,
Gnome development has never held my interest for long.

* http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/

Then of course, there's the standard Tk bindings. Your applications
may not be pretty to look at, but the library itself is easy to work
with and it is cross-platform. Plus, ruby-tk works on most systems you
happen to have Ruby and a pointy-clicky GUI desktop. Okay, it works
best on OS X if you are willing to fiddle a little bit.

* http://rubylearning.com/satishtalim/ruby_tk_tutorial.html

Which do I prefer on the rare occasions that I write GUI projects in
Ruby? Well, FXRuby. But other than that, my personal preference leans
towards qt4-ruby for the shininess factor, or ruby-tk for the
"getting-stuff-done-everywhere" factor.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Brian Wisti