[fxruby-users] Delayed widget creation

Jeroen van der Zijp jeroen at fox-toolkit.org
Fri Sep 18 17:24:01 EDT 2009

On Friday 18 September 2009, Eric Hutton wrote:
> OK, very bizarre. So I tried app.runModalWhileEvents instead of
> [window].repaint but my label displying the value for time.now is still only
> showing a little squiggle in the upperleft corner until the next screen
> repaint (after the file IO operation).
> The time.now label, when it does show up, is showing the time was calculated
> at the instance of the call to create the label.

The flaw in the original runModalWhileEvents() was to return when the event
queue was empty.  The newer version in FOX 1.7 has a timeout parameter, which
allows it to wait a little while before giving on an empty event queue.

This is better since event queue being empty on the client side doesn't mean
the event queue on the server-side is empty yet...

		- Jeroen