[fxruby-users] Pre-release FXRuby binary gems for testing

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Wed Oct 21 10:45:32 EDT 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 1:18 AM, dave L wrote:

> If you have something for linux then i'd be happy to test it.

I don't have anything precompiled for Linux, but I guess I could try
to put something together. The problem is that there are so many
variables that come into play with Linux, and I'm not sure which ones
of them are significant. For example, I know that it matters which
version of Ruby you've installed (FXRuby built against Ruby 1.8 won't
work with Ruby 1.9, and vice-versa). But I don't know if it matters,
for example, if I'm running Linux kernel version X and you're running
Linux kernel version Y, etc.

> You may have figured I'm not the brightest light bulb in the pack
> when it comes to ruby  but I do try to sort issues i have out before
> posting and then i carry on trying.
> I use Meinrad's foxGUIb front end and find it BLOOD great as i can
> easily knock up a GUI front end quicker and get a visual look
> quicker than i can with FXruby natively (plus i find i get confuse
> about the FXruby code.
> personally would love to see foxGUIb worked on some more to make it
> easier to add controls that someone like me could add to _or_ to add
> new controls like the fxtable (know this won't happen and i haven't
> got the skills).

Maybe you don't have the skills right now, but I bet Meinrad would
appreciate it if you made an effort to get more involved contribute
back to the foxGUIb project (and maybe you already have, I don't
know). Have you ever poked around in the foxGUIb source code to try to
figure out how it works, and then try making little changes to see how
they affect things? That's a good way to start dipping your toes in. ;)

> I run Kubuntu 9.04

OK, I do have a virtual machine with Ubuntu 9.04 around here
somewhere. I will try to put something together and we'll see if it

"FXRuby: Create Lean and Mean GUIs with Ruby"
Now available from the Pragmatic Bookshelf!