[fxruby-users] Best class to use

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Tue Nov 24 16:51:26 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Stuart Clarke <stuart_clarke86 at yahoo.com>wrote:

My questions are, how can I create the text field as an append-able area?
> For example, as a user I want to type things into the text area (input area)
> and I will also click buttons which will add some data to the input area
> also. At present when I click the buttons to add data it clears the text
> field (input area).

Well, to append text to an FXText widget, you can use the FXText#appendText
method. If it's an FXTextField, you'd need to grab the current text field
content, add the new content to it, and then set it back to the FXTextField,

    text_field.text = text_field.text + "some appended text"

My second question is, how do I get the GUI to respond to new lines being
> entered into the text area (input area)? Each time a line is filled or the
> user hits the enter/return button I want the time to entered into the date
> area for the corresponding line in the input area for example
>                             DATE AREA
> this is my data, i am the user (USER HITS ENTER FOR NEW LINE)
> Date value

I think the easiest way would be to listen for either the SEL_INSERTED or
SEL_CHANGED message from the FXText widget; see the API documentation for
more information: