[fxruby-users] Best class to use

Joey Kinsella jkinsella at ancillaryservices.com
Tue Nov 24 16:05:49 EST 2009

Are you sure you actually need to use a text area for the display portion?
Part of what you may be able to do is use an FXIconList, to create a
"preview", and a "timestamp" area. the user would be able to double click on
the FXIconList to see the full details past the "preview". In my experience
it is much easier to append data to a list like item, that it is to try and
re-draw widgets every time something happens. You could do something like
this:

|  Item Preview                               | Timestamp             |
| Here is some preview text                   | 2009-11-24 15:39:09   |
| Here is some more preview text that is re...| 2009-11-24 16:00:03   |

Enter data:
| Text area to submit data                    |   [ Some other button ]
|                                             |   [ Another Button ]
|                                             |   [ Submit Button ]

I don't fully understand all your needs, so forgive me if I am way off, but
from what I can gather something like this is what you are looking for, and
something like this would also be a lot easier to code than what I think you
are trying to code.

Thanks,
Joey

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Stuart Clarke <stuart_clarke86 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> At present I have two text areas, one for data (input area) and one for the
> time stamp (date area) in two horizontal frames.
>
> My questions are, how can I create the text field as an append-able area?
> For example, as a user I want to type things into the text area (input area)
> and I will also click buttons which will add some data to the input area
> also. At present when I click the buttons to add data it clears the text
> field (input area).
>
> My second question is, how do I get the GUI to respond to new lines being
> entered into the text area (input area)? Each time a line is filled or the
> user hits the enter/return button I want the time to entered into the date
> area for the corresponding line in the input area for example
>
> INPUT AREA
>                             DATE AREA
> this is my data, i am the user (USER HITS ENTER FOR NEW LINE)
> Date value
>
> I hope this is a bit clearer, many thanks
>
> Stuart

that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately.