[fxruby-users] cannot find -lXrandr during FXRuby install

Chris Newman Chris.Newman at maxim-ic.com
Tue Mar 10 12:23:13 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am looking for some help installing FXRuby 1.6.19 on a 64-bit RedHat VM.

I have installed Ruby 1.8.7 into an alternate path: /srv/ruby-1.8.7.
I have installed fox 1.6.35 under that alternate Ruby path.
But, when I try to install FXRuby, either via a gem or via source, the linker reports the error:

cannot find -lXrandr

I found Xrandr libs in /usr/X11R6/lib & lib64.
Why is it that fox seems to find Xrandr, but FXRuby cannot?
I am pointing to the fox libs during the FXRuby build, i.e.

set path = ( . /srv/ruby-1.8.7/bin etc...)
ruby install.rb config -- --with-fox-include=/srv/ruby-1.8.7/include/fox-1.6 --with-fox-lib=/srv/ruby-1.8.7/lib

It's as if the FXRuby build is clueless about the location of the X11 libs.
I can go in and hack the Makefile under the rug, but that just seems wrong.

What's the best way to fix this?
Is there a way to pass in the X11 lib path to install.rb so that it creates the Makefile correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.