[fxruby-users] Learning FXRuby please help!

Marlene Phillips marlene at phillipses.com
Tue Jun 23 14:25:18 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to get text on to the screen in response to pressing a
button. This code doesn't work, and I don't know why. My puts command
says that the window is shown, but it's not displayed.

Also, it seems to me that there should be an easier way to get text on a
screen in response to pressing a button. Any hints?  Thanks!

Marlene

require 'fox16'
include Fox

class Lookup < FXMainWindow
  def initialize(app)
    super(app, "Lookup window", :width=>400, :height=>600,
    :opts => DECOR_ALL|LAYOUT_FILL_X|LAYOUT_FILL_Y)
    bframe = FXHorizontalFrame.new(self, :opts => LAYOUT_FILL_X)
    hearButton = FXButton.new(bframe, "Do you hear me?")
    yesWindow = FXHorizontalFrame.new(self, :opts =>
      FRAME_GROOVE|LAYOUT_FILL_X)
    yesLabel = FXLabel.new(yesWindow,"Yes")
    yesWindow.hide
    puts "window shown?" + yesWindow.shown?.to_s
    hearButton.connect(SEL_COMMAND) do |sender,sel, data|
      yesWindow.create
      yesWindow.show
      puts "pushed hear button"
      puts "window shown?" + yesWindow.shown?.to_s

  def create
    super
    show(PLACEMENT_SCREEN)

if __FILE__ == $0