[fxruby-users] [Foxgui-users] Considering a move to GitHub

Meinrad Recheis meinrad.recheis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:11:37 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Lyle Johnson <lyle at lylejohnson.name> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Hubbell, Sean-W49290 wrote:
>  If you do not mind me asking, are there any reasons that you are using
>> Git over Subversion?
With git I am able to check in my daily work in a different branch
(efficiently, svn is dead slow with branches) without affecting the current
stable development branch my fellows are depending on. I also like to keep a
git repo on an usb stick to be able to switch computers and systems easily.
I also like tracking subversion working directories with a git repo to be
able to work offline.

The best thing, however, is git's "rebase" function. you can work on a
branch for a long time without getting completely off from the main branch
by continuously rebasing your branch on the main line. with subversion i
once made a long lived branch, did some serious refactoring to improve the
design and later had to abandon all the work because it was simply too
costly to merge it back to the main branch which had evolved very much.

-- henon