[fxruby-users] dipping one foot into the fox

dave L dglnz at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 06:12:01 EST 2009

Right-ho,

looking at exercise 2 of the tutorial i've decided to extend what is shown to do this.
                                - Save dialog box
                                - Open dialog box
got the main window setup and 1 dialog box with a generic message saying this hasn't been implemented yet with a close button on it.

below is the code done so far for the dialog box (any place i can be pointed to for FAQ's on what common errors i might hit?

Question :
this is completely off the topic of my coding error but is related to HOW one goes about structuring multiple windows like this (coming from a RAD - Delphi background) where one has a project container folder and dialog boxes like this are within the application would one put the dialog window in as a child or have it as i have - a seperate file?

My code I've written tonight I could have the command done with the form BUT it would defeat my reason for doing this - namely understand how i do things in code - use GUIb to position widget etc only!

TextEd_DiaBoxEx.rb code written tonight - errors are as shown below.

dave at AMD3000:/spare/foxgui$ ruby TextEd_DiaBoxEx.rb
TextEd_DiaBoxEx.rb:3: syntax error, unexpected '\n', expecting tCOLON2 or '[' or '.'
TextEd_DiaBoxEx.rb:9: syntax error, unexpected kEND, expecting $end
dave at AMD3000:/spare/foxgui$

require "TextEd_DiaBox"

class "TextEd_DiaBox"

  def init
    button1.connect(SEL_COMMAND) {me.close}  #Button is clicked so close the dialogbox!

concentrate on this then i'll have a crack at the Open & save Dialog boxes of which this will be one
actually i'd like to dynamically use this based on which button is pushed the user sees one of TWO panels.
Panel 1 would have save as caption and allow the saving of text written.
Panel 2 would have Open File caption and load the file.
Close button would exit the app - no saving or attempting to check etc.

Version 2 would do some sort of check and ask the user a question about saving before exiting.

TextEd_DiaBox.rb source code....     Not problems
# source generated by foxGUIb 1.0.0

class DialogBox
    def initialize( parent)
        construct_widget_tree( parent)
        init if respond_to? 'init'
    end

    def construct_widget_tree( parent)
        @topwin=
        FX::DialogBox.new(parent){|w|
            @dialogBox=w
            w.wdg_name='dialogBox'
            w.width=436
            w.shown=true
            w.y=339
            w.height=93
            w.decorations=131072
            w.title="Dialog Box"
            w.layoutHints=768
            w.x=268
            FX::Label.new(@dialogBox){|w|
                @label1=w
                w.wdg_name='label1'
                w.text="Sample text to be displayed but not yet implemented as yet"
                w.padLeft=10
                w.frameStyle=20480
                w.font=FX::Font.new.from_s('AlArabiya [unknown]|90|40|5|0|0|0').to_FXFont
                w.width=342
                w.padRight=10
                w.height=29
                w.padTop=0
                w.layoutHints=8
                w.x=47
            }
            FX::Button.new(@dialogBox){|w|
                @button1=w
                w.wdg_name='button1'
                w.text="CLOSE"
                w.font=FX::Font.new.from_s('FreeMono [unknown]|140|70|5|0|0|768').to_FXFont
                w.width=68
                w.buttonButtonStyle=67108864
                w.y=49
                w.height=28