[fxruby-users] installation issues - kubuntu 8.04

dave L dglnz at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 14:57:20 EST 2009

--- On Wed, 21/1/09, Lyle Johnson <lyle at lylejohnson.name> wrote:

> From: Lyle Johnson <lyle at lylejohnson.name>
> Subject: Re: [fxruby-users] installation issues - kubuntu 8.04
> To: fxruby-users at rubyforge.org
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:26 AM, dave L
> <dglnz at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > at the time of running make i got the error below...
> >
> > s/libFOX-1.6.so.0.0.34
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[1]: *** [libFOX-1.6.la] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/spare/fox-1.6.34/src'
> > make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
> Doesn't Ubuntu have a package for FOX anyways? Why not
> just install
> that instead?

Before embarking on my intriped journey I search through Adpet to see if anything to do with fox was in the repo's i have (namely bog standard repo's for *ubuntu) found nothing.

My preference is to install within the package management system as you end up with a "just goes" program out of the box.

>     sudo aptitude install libfox1.6-dev

Will try this when i get home - actually may even try apt-get fxruby as a query and see what apt-get shows.

> But assuming you have some reason not to use the standard
> package, it
> looks like you don't have libXext installed. What
> happens if you do:
>
>     sudo aptitude install libxext-dev

all else fails i'll do this one last.

> and then try the "configure; make; make install"
> cycle for FOX again?
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Lyle

Thanks Lyle sure i'll be able to get something done now

dave.