[fxruby-users] fxRuby not Installing

David MacMahon davidm at astro.berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 19 19:11:47 EST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 14:53 , Lyle Johnson wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Justin Shell wrote:
>> I then opened up MacPorts and tried installing Fox that way. I got
>> some errors related to fonts (there were a lot of them so I didn't
>> paste them) and Fox was not installed.
> That's odd. Are you using MacPorts 1.7.0 (the current release)? I
> haven't had any (recent) reports about the FOX port not building
> properly. It would be good if you could file a bug report at
> MacPorts.org on that one.

I don't know if this is related, but I also had problems installing
Fox via MacPorts on Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.11) until I found this...

Apparently, the Fox port lists Xft2 as a library dependency, but
Tiger's "built-in" Xft2 library is not adequate so Fox on Tiger via
MacPorts really needs the Macports Xft2 port installed.

My symptom was that things would build, but the Fox examples (e.g.
calculator) would crash during startup somewhere in the fontconfig
library, so it looks like it might be a different problem from yours,
Justin, but if you're on Tiger you could try doing...

sudo port install Xft2
sudo port install fox
sudo gem install fox16