[fxruby-users] FXIconList sort function

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Mon Feb 9 11:06:51 EST 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Jonathan Hadders wrote:

> I'm trying to implement an FXIconList with multiple columns so that
> the list can be sorted in ascending or descending order based on any
> of the columns (much like FXFileList, I believe).  I ran across an
> earlier post of yours (8/5/2003 - http://www.varioustopics.com/ruby/189237-fxiconlist-questions.html)
>  and understand subclassing the FXIconListItem and FXIconList, but
> then you mention changing "the current sorting method".  I wasn't
> sure how to do that and then noticed FXRuby bug #1655, which sounds
> like its related.
> Is there a workaround for this?  How can I "set the sorting method"
> that sortItems() uses?  Thanks for any help you could provide!

That functionality is no longer available in FXRuby (if it ever was)
and I'm not sure what it would take to get it working. Without getting
too bogged down in the details (but I could if you'd like ;), the
basic problem is that the mechanism that FOX provides for overriding
the default FXIconList sorting algorithm doesn't give us enough
context (on the Ruby side) to know which FXIconList it's associated