[fxruby-users] Install question on Mac

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Tue Apr 28 12:12:13 EDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 10:38 AM, eddy wrote:

> I don't have a mac, but on my linux setups I need to require
> 'rubygems' before require 'fox16'.  Maybe it's the same on macos?

That's a separate issue, I think. If you've installed FXRuby (or
anything else) via RubyGems, you need to ensure that the Ruby
interpreter loads up the RubyGems runtime at startup. One way is to
(as you discovered) always include:

	require 'rubygems'

at the top of your programs. An easier way (IMO) is to modify your
RUBYOPT environment variable to include this, e.g.

	export RUBYOPT="-rubygems"

Note that this is a "RubyGems thing", and not an "FXRuby thing".