[fxruby-users] Install question on Mac

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Tue Apr 28 11:48:39 EDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Pito Salas wrote:

> This question has come through before, but I can't come up with a
> solution based on reading many threads etc so please bear with me with
> a simple question. I am on Mac, and manage my installs via port and
> gems. Here's the state of things:

<snip>

Based on the error messages, it looks like:

  * You're running the MacPorts version of Ruby (not the Ruby that's
included with OS X Leopard)
  * You've installed the (binary) FXRuby gem for OS X, which is built
against the regular OS X Leopard.

In other words: The gem that you've installed depends on the OS X
Ruby, and since that's not the same Ruby that you're using to load it,
it breaks. So you have a couple of options here.

One option is to drop back to using the Ruby that's included with OS
X. In this case you just need to uninstall Ruby from your MacPorts
installation (or at least monkey with the PATH settings so that it
finds the OS X version of Ruby before it finds the MacPorts version),
then install the FXRuby gem into that environment.

Since you're a MacPorts fan (as am I), I'm guessing you don't want
that option. In that case, you should first uninstall the FXRuby
binary gem (since that's not going to work anyways). Next, the easiest
path is probably to install FXRuby from the MacPorts package:

	sudo port install rb-fxruby

If you'd rather install it from the sources, you'll need to make sure
to specify the "ruby" platform when invoking the "gem install"
command, e.g.

	sudo gem install fxruby --platform ruby

Note that this option is somewhat more fragile, since you have to take
care of all the dependencies yourself. I'd recommend just using the
MacPorts port since you're already set up for that anyways.

> - is the fact that the port install of Fox says "X11" mean that
> there's no native mac binding for fox?

Correct, there's no "native" OS X port of FOX.