[fxruby-users] FXTableItem.new segmentation fault

Tim Smith tsmith at tektone.net
Thu Sep 25 16:50:36 EDT 2008

The SWIG issue may indeed affect only versions of Ruby from 1.8.7 and
1.8.6 patchlevel 117 onward.  I only saw the "object allocation during
garbage collection phase" message on Ruby 1.8.7.  However, the
FXTableItem.new crash predates those versions.  The backtrace I posted
was from ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i686-linux].  And I
have just now reproduced the crash on ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25)
[i386-mswin32].

As I observed in my last message, it looks like this crash happens when
garbage collection triggers a call to getIcon() during the
initialization of an FXTableItem, before the item is fully inserted into
FXRuby_Objects.  This problem goes back to at least Ruby 1.8.2 and
FXRuby 1.6.14.

Tim Smith