[fxruby-users] What ever have I done wrong now?

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Wed May 21 11:31:32 EDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 10:17 AM, David Toll wrote:

> I wrote a simple program, to do further experiments with tables.
>
> However, before I even started on my experiments, it went wrong.
>
> If you run this, it displays a simple table.
>
> If you look at the source, you can see that the calls to
> "fitColumnsToContents" and "fitRowsToContents" are both commented
> out.  Note that the "fitColumnsToContents" is the replacement
> version you wrote a few days ago.
>
> If I un-comment either of these, then the table columns or rows
> (respectively) are shrunk bigtime.  There is a printf in
> "fitColumnsToContents" to display the cw and hw values - these
> clearly are garbage (far too small).
>
> What ever have I done wrong here?

The problem is that at the time you're calling fitColumnsToContents(),
the fonts haven't been created yet. I can't seem to get to the FOX
home page at the moment, but if I could, I'd point you to an item in
the FAQ there that talks about this issue of created versus non-
created fonts (or icons, etc.) There's also some discussion of it in
section 7.7 of the book, where I talk about client-side versus server-
side objects.

If you just move those two calls to your create() method, e.g.

	def create
		super
		@table.fitColumnsToContents(0,2)
		@table.fitRowsToContents(0,2)
		show(PLACEMENT_SCREEN)
	end

You should get the desired result.

Hope this helps,

Lyle

---
"FXRuby: Create Lean and Mean GUIs with Ruby"
Now available from the Pragmatic Bookshelf!
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fxruby