[fxruby-users] Intercepting and reviewing FXText messages, especially KEY_PRESS|SEL_INSERTED

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Mon May 19 14:34:01 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Jason Martin <jason at jolierouge.net> wrote:

> I may be completely off my rocker and doing things retarded, as I am mainly
> a webprogrammer, and very new to GUI programming and how it works, so if
> there is a better, or more standard way of doing it, please point it out to
> me, or reference documents that might help, anything will be greatly
> appreciated. While writing this, I realize that I can use SEL_KEYRELEASE and
> get the info I want, however, I would like to get it before insertion,a nd
> not have to handle determining key behavior for the widget, like backspace,
> and insert etc.

Well, if you catch the SEL_KEYPRESS message (instead of
SEL_KEYRELEASE) you can interecept the Tab key press before any text
gets inserted, right? And if you determine that there is some
"snippet" text before the current cursor position, you would (I guess)
insert the expanded text and then return true to indicate that your
message handler handled the event and FXText's regular SEL_KEYPRESS
handler doesn't need to do anything else with it. If you instead
determine that there is no "snippet" text to try to expand, you'd want
to return false from the message handler so that the default
SEL_KEYPRESS processing kicks in.

Hope this helps,