[fxruby-users] A word about compatibility with JRuby and Ruby 1.9

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Fri May 2 09:21:06 EDT 2008

All,

Due to a number of recent bug reports regarding FXRuby's compatibility
with JRuby, I feel like I need to clear something up, and that's that
FXRuby will never (well, "almost certainly never") work with JRuby.
This problem isn't unique to FXRuby; it's true for any C/C++-based
Ruby extension. See this page:

	http://jruby.codehaus.org/Limitations

for more information.

FXRuby seems to be mostly working under Ruby 1.9, although it has
obviously had very little testing at this point since the official
release of Ruby 1.9.0. What that means is that the FXRuby source code
can be compiled against Ruby 1.9, and the resulting library will work.
The FXRuby gem for Windows (i.e. the one that you get when you type
"gem install fxruby") is built against Ruby 1.8.6, however, and it is
most definitely *not* compatible with Ruby 1.9. Until there's a one-
click installer for Ruby 1.9.0 on Windows, or some other reasonably
authoritative source for builds of Ruby 1.9.0 on Windows, I probably
won't release a gem for that version.

What we're beginning to see are some problems that I (and others)
noted early on in the development of RubyGems, and that's that the
system is pretty indiscriminate with regards to Ruby versions, OS
versions, etc. The result is that it can make it difficult to know
which components will work properly with each other. Hopefully this
situation will improve over time.

Thanks,

Lyle

---
"FXRuby: Create Lean and Mean GUIs with Ruby"
Now available from the Pragmatic Bookshelf!
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fxruby