[fxruby-users] Drag and drop from the filesystem

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Tue Mar 25 15:40:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Thomas, Jason M (Software)
<jmthomas at ball.com> wrote:

> I was reading about drag and drop within and between FOX applications
>  but I was wondering if it was possible to drag and drop a file from the
>  filesystem into a FOX application? Obviously I could use the file open
>  dialog box but drag and drop is a nice feature.

The short answer is that it's not possible at this time.

For this to work would require a change to the core FOX event loop.
When the application receives a WM_DROPFILES messages from the Win32
layer, it should (somehow) synthesize a drop event in your FOX/FXRuby
application. I know the subject has come up before, and I can even see
some commented-out code in FOX that suggests to me that someone
(presumably Jeroen) has investigated it in the past.

If FOX ever acquires this functionality, you'd obviously get it for
free in FXRuby. Unfortunately, it's such a low-level thing that we
can't even hack it in with FXRuby.