[fxruby-users] Canvas to postscript file

Len Lawrence lcl at tarazed.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 20:49:31 EDT 2008

Ruby 1.8
FOX 1.6
fxruby-1.6.13

Mandriva 2008 - Linux 2.6.22.9-server-2mdv

Having invested several months in learning and using fxruby as an
alternative to C/Tcl/Tk or rubytk I have started redeveloping some of
my homegrown programs for this new environment.  The most important is
paddb, an address label printer, which uses Tcl to generate postscript
files from a canvas.  FOX has the FXDCPrint class which looks like it
generates postscript output.  If this is supported by fxruby can it be
used somehow in conjunction with a canvas and further would it be
possible to copy that to a postscript file?  In Tcl/Tk the
canvas.postscript function handles all that transparently.  Is there
such a method in fxruby?  The documentation available suggests not.
Are there then any plans to incorporate such a facility in fxruby?  If
not I shall have to regress to rubytk, which I could never get to work
satisfactorily.  There are additional problems with that in Mandriva 2008
to do with the adoption of TclTk8.5.  Mandriva's rubytk is compiled
against version 8.4 AFAIK.

Comments?