[fxruby-users] mysql

Philippe Lang philippe.lang at attiksystem.ch
Thu Jun 26 04:31:28 EDT 2008

fxruby-users-bounces at rubyforge.org wrote:
> Hi, list!
>
> I'm new to Ruby and FXRuby, and I'm trying to develop an application
> that needs to access a mysql database.

Hi,

Jonathan idea to use an Object Relational Mapper is just fine. We are
using Active Record here. Be careful of one thing, though: if your
application is running on a LAN, I guess there will be no speed problem
at all. But if you run your application on a higher latency network (for
example 40 ms latency between the client and the server), be careful not
to do to many round-trips between the client and the server, otherwise
your application will be very slow... If you need to run complex
algorithms requiring database access in your application, consider
running them on the server directly. I have chosen to run them inside
the Postgresql Database, in the form of PLPGSQL functions. This is 100%
database dependant code, but so much faster...

Regards,

Philippe Lang
http://www.attiksystem.ch