[fxruby-users] mysql

Jonathan Stott jonathan.stott at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 03:35:10 EDT 2008

I would second Lyle's suggestion that the two are seperate issues.

However, instead of interacting with the database directly via the
mysql gem, you might instead want to consider some form of
Object-Relational Manager (ORM).  An ORM will wrap a lot of the SQL
you are likely to write, and the rows you return, in Ruby objects and

There are several available for ruby:

ActiveRecord (of rails fame):

Sequel: http://sequel.rubyforge.org/

DataMapper (my personal favourite, but currently under heavy
development) http://datamapper.org

They can significantly reduce the amount of 'boilerplate' SQL you have to write.