[fxruby-users] mysql

Lyle Johnson lyle at lylejohnson.name
Wed Jun 25 22:08:59 EDT 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 4:11 PM, angico wrote:

> I'm new to Ruby and FXRuby, and I'm trying to develop an application
> that needs to access a mysql database.
> Do you have any hints on how do I get started with it? Any help will
> be
> appreciated.

I'd recommend learning about those topics separately instead of trying
to learn them all at once. That is to say, the issues involved in
accessing MySQL databases aren't really related to the issues involved
in developing FXRuby-based applications.

I think most people use the Ruby/MySQL library to deal with MySQL
databases; here's a good article on that topic:

The best resource for getting started with FXRuby development is the
book (see my signature for the details). There are also some tutorials
on line (Google for "fxruby tutorial"), and coverage in other books
like "The Ruby Way".

Hope this helps,

"FXRuby: Create Lean and Mean GUIs with Ruby"
Now available from the Pragmatic Bookshelf!