[fxruby-users] Tracking mouse outside my window.

Bob Whiteside bob.whiteside at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 00:54:12 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I seek general guidance about an aspect of app I'd like to write in
Ruby/FXRuby.  Imagine something like a "point picker"  written in
Ruby.  There's a little window that has a "crosshair" button (or
something) and an area for displaying coordinates.  I'd like to drag
from the crosshairs off to anywhere on the screen.  As the mouse is
dragged, I want to display the coordinates.

I don't have my heart set on any particular UI gesture.  For example,
if the user could click on the crosshairs, then click somewhere else,
that'd be fine, too.

The main issue is that I want to watch mouse events even when the
cursor is not over the FXRuby window.

Is this possible?

I've fooled around a little bit with the win32/api stuff trying to
install a mouse hook, to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/guidance anyone has to offer.
Especially welcome would be, 'You dufus! The FxFranastat widget does
exactly that!"  :-)