[fxruby-users] problem with fox instalation

Len Lawrence lcl at tarazed.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 04:06:51 EDT 2008

angico wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I've succesfully installed FXRuby on my desktop, just following the
> instructions in Lyle's "FXRuby - create lean and mean GUIs with Ruby",
> and it's really wonderful.
>
> Now that I've bought a notebook (nearly the same config as my desktop:
> both are Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo running Ubuntu 8.04), I'm trying to
> get FXRuby installed on it, too, but I just can't achieve this and
> can't realize why.
>
> Here are some excerpts of the installation process:
>
> -----------
>
> Instalando libfox-1.6-0 (1.6.25-1) ...
>
> Instalando libfox-1.6-dev (1.6.25-1) ...
>
> Processing triggers for libc6 ...
> ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
> angico at pirilampo:~/testes/ruby/operabd$ ruby operabd.rb
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- fox16 (LoadError)
> from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:32:in `require'
> from operabd.rb:8
> angico at pirilampo:~/testes/ruby/operabd$ sudo gem list --local
>
> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
>
> fxruby (1.6.16, 1.6.15)
>     FXRuby is the Ruby binding to the FOX GUI toolkit.
>
> mysql (2.7.3)
>     A win32-native build of the MySQL API module for Ruby.
>
> ri18n (0.0.3)
>     Ruby application internationalization and localization library
>
> sources (0.0.1)
>     This package provides download sources for remote gem installation
>
> -----------------------
>
> Can anybody point me out what's going wrong? How can I put it to work?
>
> Many thanks,
I had a similar problem some time back.  Lyle explained that it was
caused by a bug in an early version of gems.  Once the fox16 object file
had been built it was immediately deleted as part of the cleanup
process.  The problem went away when I installed a later version of
rubygems, > 1.0 I think.  Your problem may be unrelated though.  I also
had to endure that the version numbers of the FOX library and fxruby
matched, i.e. FOX16 and fxruby1.6.

Len