[fxruby-users] problem

Fred Horton fthorton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 07:59:04 EDT 2008

Hi - I discovered my mistake -- when I first got errors, I tried doing a
custom install of ruby etc. using the tutorial at Hivelogic but I still got
errors -- at that point I went back to your tutorial and noticed what I
failed to notice the first time I read it, namely that it works for the
default installation so I cleaned out the custom install ruby etc. and was
left with the default -- but I still got errors until I used the following
for one of your other tutorials as referenced in David Rupp's Blog:

export LDFLAGS="-dylib_file \
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:\
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/L

Even with the default install of ruby I got errors until I used the
following to install:

sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch i386" gem install fxruby

Thanks for your response and I hope round about way of explaining my
experience was not too confusing.  Anyway, it works for me now
on my Mac and I look forward to working through the rest of the book.

Regards,
Fred

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Lyle Johnson <lyle at lylejohnson.name>
wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Fred Horton wrote:
>
>  Hi -- I just got your book FXRuby and am trying to get it working on
>> Leopard -- I had no problems getting it to work on Vista or Ubuntu but when
>> I tried to follow the post on your blog for Leopard I got the following
>> error -- I don't know enough about Leopard or Ruby for that matter to
>> troubleshoot this myself so I was hoping someone may have run into this
>> before and can offer a solution.  Here is a printout of what I see:
>>

> <snip>
>
> Whoops. Looks like I've made a mistake in building the OS X gem for FXRuby
> 1.6.16. I will take a look at this tonight and try to get an updated gem
> out ASAP. Basically, it has linked to the shared library for FOX (which you
> don't have) when it should have been linked to the static library for FOX.
>
> ---
> "FXRuby: Create Lean and Mean GUIs with Ruby"
> Now available from the Pragmatic Bookshelf!
> http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fxruby

Regards,
Fred Horton