[fxruby-users] Directory listing query

Stuart Clarke stuart_clarke86 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 16:51:52 EST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to write a small GUI to glue onto the front of some other code. The purpose of the GUI is to allow the user to select a text file full of word lists, then to select a directory for the data to be output to and finally for the user to enter a name for the job in a text field. Thus far I have created the directory dialogs and relevant text fields, however I would like some assistance with the remainder. Firstly when a user selects a file (word list file) I would like the full path and file name to be displayed in a text box (I would like the same for the directory selection also). How would I go about this? This is my most of my code this far which shows my ideas but this is not working:

Thanks in advance.

require 'fox16'
include Fox

class GUI < FXMainWindow #SUBCLASS FOR CREATING A WINDOW, CONTAINS ALL THE CUSTOMISATION INFORMATION
  def initialize(app)
    super(app, "GUI", :width => 300, :height => 250)
    frame = FXVerticalFrame.new(self, LAYOUT_FILL_X)
    inputFile = FXButton.new(frame, "Input Phrase File")
    inputFile.connect(SEL_COMMAND) do
      dialog = FXFileDialog.new(self, "Select input file")
      dialog.patternList = ["Text Files (*.txt)", "All Files (*)"]
      dialog.selectMode = SELECTFILE_EXISTING
      if dialog.execute != 0 #display the box and wait fot user response
        loadinput(dialog.filename) #if the user selects a file it calls the openevtfile method
    @inputfield = FXTextField.new(frame, 30, :opts => FRAME_SUNKEN|FRAME_THICK|LAYOUT_FILL_X)

    FXHorizontalSeparator.new(frame, :opts => LAYOUT_FILL_X|SEPARATOR_GROOVE)
    FXLabel.new(frame, "Classifcation name:", :opts => JUSTIFY_LEFT)
    tagfield = FXTextField.new(frame, 30, :opts => FRAME_SUNKEN|FRAME_THICK|LAYOUT_FILL_X)

    FXButton.new(frame, "Run")
    FXButton.new(frame, "Cancel", nil, getApp(), FXApp::ID_QUIT)
  end

  def loadinput(filename)
    inputfile = []
    inputfile.push "(#{filename})"