[fxruby-users] accented letters

Axel Etzold AEtzold at gmx.de
Tue Aug 19 05:26:07 EDT 2008

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:42:55 +0900
> Von: angico <angico at angico.org>
> An: ruby-talk at ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: accented letters

> Em Ter, 2008-08-19 às 07:22 +0900, Axel Etzold escreveu:
> > Dear Angico,
> >
> > sorry, I misunderstood. You mean that you want to interact dynamically
> with
> > FXRuby in some way, like ask the user some question and have the user's
> > answer displayed ?
> > It seems that depending on what OS you use, you can define a connection
> key (on the system,
> > not in Ruby or FXRuby) so that accent+key are drawn together ... see
> here for Ubuntu:
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-779463.html
> >
> > To me ( I am not Brazilian or Portuguese) , the problem you are
> experiencing is somewhat surprising, as for instance in French or German, there are
> special keys that allow you to enter the whole letter in one go ... but
> the French don't have the tilde letters ~a and ~o ....
> > maybe general Portuguese language programming forums can help you if the
> connection-key hint doesn't work ...
> > I'd nevertheless like to know if it does.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Axel
> Hi, Axel.
> I use Ubuntu Linux 8.04. All the applications I have installed on my
> system work fine (OpenOffice.org does, JEdit does, Eclipse does,
> Evolution does, etc.)
> The only one that refuses to "understand" the key combinations is
> exactly this one I'm working on: An FXRuby application. Also, as I
> already stated, the application can display the text correctly. It just
> can't make the combination.
> So, I guess the problem is with Ruby.
> The brazilian ABNT2 keyboard has only one special key: ç. The remaining
> accented letters must be typed as a combination of a dead key (the
> accent) followed by the actual letter key, as in ~a, which gives an ã.
> But FXRuby's controls still don't accept or understand them.
> Regards,
> --
> angico
> ------
> home page: www.angico.org
> Gnu/Linux, FLOSS, Espiritismo, e eu por mim mesmo 8^I
> ------
> contatos:
> email: angico at angico.org
> skype: angico00
> ------

Dear Angico, dear all,

I have switched my keyboard layout to Brazilian and I can confirm your FXRuby accent entering troubles.
However, I am not sure whether the missing touch is in the Ruby camp rather than in FXRuby's.

When I tried some alternative GUI toolkit :
(If you get an error missing -lruby, see here: http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/list/shoes/2008/06/28/2998-re-error-make-returns-usr-bin-ld-cannot-find-lruby.html)

I could enter Brazilian accents in the reminder application in the sample directory of shoes.

This is due to the fact that shoes uses the pango library (http://www.pango.org/) for internationalization.
Now, on their page, they talk about integration with the GTK2 GUI toolkit, which, of course, isn't the
same as FOX, on which FXRuby builds.

As I am not an expert about the intricacies of using pango (or some equivalent) with Fox/FXRuby,
I am just CC'ing this message to the fxruby list.

Best regards,