[fxruby-users] fxruby gem install problem

Tom Cloyd tomcloyd at comcast.net
Mon Apr 14 23:45:17 EDT 2008

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2008, at 5:06 AM, Tom Cloyd wrote
>> I've installed libfox-1.6-dev, and after that attempted install of
>> fxruby, with this result:
>> $ sudo gem install fxruby
> <snip>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXrandr
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make: *** [fox16.so] Error 1
> OK, so it looks like the libfox-1.6-dev package depends on something
> called libXrandr.so, which I know is one of the X windows extension
> libraries. I don't know why the person who built the FOX package for
> Ubuntu wouldn't have made that an automatically-included dependency,
> but then again I don't really use Ubuntu on a regular basis.
> At any rate, it looks like you need to install that library as well to
> get FXRuby to build. When I google for "ubuntu xrandr", I get some
> hits for the package name "xrandr", so I guess that's what you want
> (not sure):
> 	sudo apt-get install xrandr
I can report a success!
I go to it by reasoning that since I had to install (from the 'buntu
repositories) libfox-1.6-dev, that just possibly the "libXrandr..."
file(s) might be also there. Looking there for "xandr", I found
"libxrandr-dev". I installed it, and attempted to install fxruby. It
went flawlessly. (sigh)

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Can I assist "the cause" by reporting this issue somewhere? I looked a
bit for some obvious place, and didn't see it, but then there's a lot I
don't know, so I may have overlooked something pretty obvious.

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc at tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
<< directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)