[fxruby-users] Selections strange behaviour

Jeroen van der Zijp jeroen at fox-toolkit.org
Fri May 11 10:10:42 EDT 2007

On Friday 11 May 2007 03:55, Philippe Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed a strange behaviour with textfield selections, when you
> loose the focus of a control. When you click on another control or when
> you use the TAB key, the selection is sometimes still visible,
> "greyed-out".
>
> Apparently, there is a selection "remanence" when you use the mouse to
> move from one control to another, all the time.
> There is also such a behaviour when you use the TAB key to go to a field
> that has no content. If the control you move to has content, selection
> disappears.
>
> I'm not sure this is a bug, but I think it is quite strange...

It is not a bug.

The selection of one text field is lost when something else gets selected.

You can middle-mouse paste text from the field that has the selection into
some other control (FXText or FXTextField).

On X11, selection is system-wide, i.e. you can paste from FXTextField in
a FOX application to something that acceptes text, possibly in another
application.

When focus is transferred to a FXTextField, text in the field, if there is
any, is selected.  The selection of the original FXTextField is lost only
as a side effect of the fact that there is only one selection in the system
[on Windows, we can only manage the primary selection within the application,
but on X11 its system-wide].

Hope this explains,

			Jeroen