[fxruby-users] Beryl

Forrest Chang fkchang2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 12:32:24 EST 2007

Hi Björn:

    Black windows under XGL/Beryl/Compiz/etc. is generally an indication of running out of video RAM.

    It took me months to figure that out.  Possible solutions: 1) get a new video card w/more RAM 2) lower your screen resolution.

    On my laptop, which is happily loving beryl after a long time of hacking, I was forced to lower the resolution from the native 1680x1050 to 1280x960, which largely handles well, but still has a quirk here or there.  XGL apps generally respond ok on my machine.

    Forrest